For all you vegans out there, these muffins are absolutely delicious. For all of you afraid that all vegan food tastes bad, these muffins will change your mind. They taste just like a non vegan muffin and are super simple to make as well.
You can use fresh blueberries or frozen, just be aware that if you use frozen your muffins, they will turn bright blue. I prefer fresh and I think they are easier to deal with. If you’re using frozen, make sure to thaw them in the microwave and drain before putting them in your batter.
1 cup coconut milk
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
2 cups all-purpose flour
2½ teaspoons baking powder
¼ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
½ cup + 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
¼ cup + 2 tablespoons canola oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
zest of 1 lemon
1½ – 2 cups blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- Preheat the oven to 375F. Line a muffin tin with baking cups and set aside.
- In a small bowl combine coconut milk and apple cider vinegar. Set aside to allow milk to curdle.
- In a larger bowl combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- Mix together sugar, canola oil, lemon zest, and vanilla extract. Add coconut milk/vinegar mixture and stir to combine.
- Stir in the dry ingredients until well incorporated. Be careful not to overmix – a few lumps are okay. Fold in blueberries.
- Spoon into muffin tins, filling each cup about ¾ full. Bake for 20-25 minutes until a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Remove from heat and allow muffins to cool before removing from pan.